Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Ripples of missionary work

We had a zone meeting first thing this week and Elder S. is in my same Zone here in Durango. He came running over to me with a huge grin and I thought he was gonna do something dumb, nope he starts talking super fast in Spanish about how HMO L BAPTIZED HIS DAUGHTER! It was soooo freaking awesome!

I can't really express how happy I was when I saw this picture. This is Fam. C from my past area, definitely one of the highlights of my mission. I got the privilege to baptize this man and now he has the privilege to have the priesthood and baptize his own daughter! C. is 19 and says she is preparing to go on a mission. 

It's moments like these that you really get to enjoy mission work. I am 100000X happier that Hmo C got to baptize his daughter than if I had gotten the opportunity, it shows how the gospel really does strengthen and bless the family. It also shows just how far the effects of one pair of missionaries (one that struggled his way through the language in every lesson) can touch so many other lives. I'll never know the people that C. and the rest of her family will help to find the gospel, but because the Lord blessed me enough to be their missionary my efforts will be felt in her mission as well. This family is a perfect example of why we serve missions.


Another thing I want to talk about is the gift of tongues. About 6 weeks ago, after another hard day with the language I broke down and begged God to help me with Spanish. I hated the language, hated it. I hated that I knew answers to questions and doubts people had and the majority of the time couldn't express myself well enough to help them. It all came down to this one night when I just begged God to help me. Since that day, I kid you not, since that day I have not had a hard day in lessons with the language. I still have some difficulty outside of lessons but when it comes to teaching about the gospel I can say whatever I want. Its amazing. Its a miracle. Gifts are real. I know it. God has given me exactly what I needed to be a missionary for the true church

Haha as far as the area I'm in now, not a lot has changed. We knock doors, we contact in the streets, we do service, and it just isn't the time for the majority of these people. Sure we have a couple people that listen to us, but they really aren't making the changes they need to progress toward baptism at this time. For the upside we have a branch talent show coming up, and I'm gonna play the guitar in it, so that should be fun. Things are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment