Monday, April 20, 2015

Being a Consecrated Missionary

The most important thing in the mission is the Spirit. I know everyone always says it but it really is 100% of the mission, the Spirit. We aren't here to speak for ourselves, we are here to be the mouthpieces of the Spirit. When I got on the mission I immediately went into focusing 100% on spanish, spanish, spanish, because it was my most obvious weakness, I looked at other missionaries and thought, if I could just speak spanish like that guy I would be such a better missionary. 
Unfortunately I didn't focus too much on learning to teach by the Spirit, and that was a huge mistake that I have paid for many times on the mission. I don't care if your native, I don't care if you are charismatic and funny and bold and everything else that is useful as a missionary, If you don't have the Spirit - YOU ARE NOTHING.
Charisma, a sense of humor, all that makes for good friends of investigators that are just coming to church because they like their missionaries, and when the missionaries leave, so do the investigators, nothing makes a convert but the Spirit.
LEARN TO TEACH BY THE SPIRIT. When you feel slow and not smart at the start of the mission because you can't understand and can't be understood, no amount of language study will save the lesson, The Spirit saves the lesson. When you have more experience in the mission and are more comfortable speaking, no amount of confidence will save the lesson, The Spirit saves the lesson. 
So with this talk (Becoming a consecrated missionary) and with my mission I have learned the two hardest by far to put on the altar of sacrifice are fear, and pride, and trust me both of these kill your ability to teach by the Spirit. Don't be afraid the worst they can do is say no, don't be afraid because that is is a lack of faith.
On the other hand don't be over the top and arrogant because that just makes people angry or makes them feel afraid. Pride and fear are two emotions that literally have nothing to do with the Spirit. God feels a lot of emotions like us, love, hate(of sin), anger, sorrow, all of these God feels, but I am convinced that two emotions that are completely of the devil are fear, and pride
Don't be afraid but don't be arrogant either, humility isn't being afraid, its recognizing your complete dependence on God and then showing your confidence in Him by doing what He says and being obedient - faith. Humility and Faith are the opposites of fear and pride. 
Read over and over again Alma 17 and 1 Corinthians Chapters 1 and 2 and Chap. 4 of PMG

No comments:

Post a Comment